Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Mediterranean Chicken Bake

I'm a huge fan of, what I call, "one pot wonders" and this fresh chicken dish doesn't disappoint. It uses fresh herbs and tastes like summer! I prefer using chicken quarters because they're much more flavorful than plain chicken breasts.  

  • 4 chicken quarters, skinned (or 1.5 lbs. chicken breasts, boneless & skinless)
  • Cavender's Greek seasoning
  • 1 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, left whole
  • 14 oz. jar small marinated artichoke hearts, drained
  • 14 oz. can northern white beans, drained & rinsed
  • 1/2 c. pitted Kalamata olives, drained
  • 1 small tub marinated bocconcini, drained
  • olive oil
  • salt & pepper
  • Fresh basil and parsley
  • 16 oz. pasta (I like fusilli or farfalle) 

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet, season chicken with Cavender's and cook until just underdone. 


3. While chicken is cooking, toss the onion and tomatoes in a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread mixture on the bottom of a large casserole dish. Cook on the top rack of the oven until soft (about 15 minutes).



4. Add the artichokes, beans and olives and mix with the tomatoes and onions. Add the chicken, squishing it down in the mixture. Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked thoroughly.

5. While that's in the oven, mix together the bocconcini, a bit of olive oil, fresh chopped herbs and salt and pepper. Cook the pasta.

6. After everything is cooked through, remove the chicken from the pan and add in the bocconcini mixture, mixing it with the vegetables. Put the chicken back in the pan and serve over pasta.



When we sat down to eat this a few nights ago, I was trying my darndest to get my 8 month old to eat his zucchini potato something or other baby food pouch and he was not having it! He is bound and determined to be a big boy and he wants whatever we're having which is fine with me! So I gave him everything but the artichokes, olives and cheese and he loved every bit of it. Even my ultra picky toddler decided it was "yummy" which is always a huge deal in our house. Add this to next week's menu and I promise you won't be disappointed! 

P.S. -- I hate taking pictures of food and I don't know if these pictures do this meal justice but believe you me...it's delicious!

P.P.S. -- Keep an eye out for my free printable menu planning and grocery shopping guide!

- Elizabeth -

1 comment:

  1. I will be doing this recipe soon! I do a Mediterranean salad very similiar, and so I know it's gonna be delish!

    ReplyDelete