Monday, June 2, 2014

How To: Terrariums

I really love having pops of green in my house but I'm not great at keeping house plants alive so succulents are my friends! I also like that they're small and can go just about anywhere in my house to add a bit of life and color. My favorite way to grow indoor plants is in terrariums but they can be expensive so I've been creating my own and they look pretty good if I do say so myself!

Here's what you'll need: 

- a variety of small succulents, ferns and mosses (I couldn't find any moss, unfortunately!)


- a bag of small rocks (found in the gardening section, for drainage)

- activated charcoal (found in the pet/fish department, keeps the soil fresh)


- glass containers like jars or wide vases
- potting soil

Step 1: add a layer of rocks to the bottoms of the containers (about 1" thick)


Step 2: add a layer of the charcoal (about 1/2"-1")



Step 3: arrange your plants on top of the charcoal and fill in with potting soil




Upkeep: be sure to get out any dead leaves as they fall and water weekly. 

I ran out of room in my jars so this little guy got his own pot! 



If you bought too many succulents, as I ALWAYS seem to do, just plant them the same way in whatever container you like. Sprinkle your terrariums and pots all around (I like odd numbers, especially groups of 3). Enjoy a bit of green indoors!

- Elizabeth -

No comments:

Post a Comment